Wednesday 30 May 2007

Trust me I'm a med student

Im practising really hard but some skills just dont come easy to us.
1)First was plastering which went quite well, Ive never had my arm and my leg in plaster before. The 6 of us made quite a mess, bandages and white goop all through the room. But the fun part was cutting them off with the scary spinning blade thing.


So this is michael, I forgot to add that he decided to wear a patient gown with his undies.

2)next adventure was giving injections, we practised for hours on the soft spongy pretend skin. Rochelle and I paired up to give each other a shot of saline. Fun fun. we did pretty good. Then this week we went to the hospital to get the flu vax shots. Michael gave me one.. and lets just say I wasnt impressed. Ouch!

3) my next goal is trying to take blood. The nurses in emergency let me do anything and push me to try it all out. (dont tell the patients its your first time). So anyway, I took blood off a nurse with the help of Karl (nurse in charge, I met through baptists church). So yeah, I got blood, but it wasnt a real success. Im trying again tomorrow... wish me luck!

No comments: